Cockroach presents a range of health risks
Cockroaches are living in a group at various stages. They are mainly nocturnal (active at night) and have a tendency to scatter when exposed to light. During the day, they prefer to hide and rest in dark and secluded areas such as wall voids, other cracks and crevices, etc. They exhibit thigmotropism behaviour, in which they prefer their bodies to touch solid surface both above and below. They like to move along the side of the walls instead of open spaces. They are highly mobile, moving freely from building to building or from drains, sewers, and latrines to human habitations. They tend to wander and forage more frequent for resources when they deprived of food and water. Their habits of repeatedly regurgitate digestive fluids and defecate while feeding are common.
Cockroaches are important pests as they spread filth. They play a supplementary role in the spread of some diseases such as diarrhoea, dysentery, cholera, plague, typhoid fever, etc. They may also cause allergic reactions such as dermatitis, itching, and swelling of the eyelids for those who are highly sensitive to their droppings, skins, and saliva.
- Spread disease by transporting bacteria and organisms from sewers and other unsanitary sources to food and food handling surfaces and utensils.
- Contaminate food with their droppings, their dead casts (exoskeleton), discarded ootheca (Cockroach Eggs) cases and even vomit marks.
- Seriously harm the reputation of business. The appearance of cockroaches in the public areas of a business can cause a huge loss of goodwill.
- Unpleasant odour due to secretions from theirs mouths part and outer shell part. These are particularly severe when huge population are present.
- Cause Asthma and Allergies to your children.
How to get rid of cockroaches
To get rid of cockroaches, the factors that allow for its survival must be removed. It will help a great deal if you follow the following preventive steps:
- Keep food in tightly closed cabinets and containers.
- Don’t leave food waste in sinks, on tables or floors.
- Wash dishes and utensils after a meal; Don’t leave overnight.
- Seal cracks and crevices in walls or floors with a proper sealant.
- Clear away old newspapers, boxes and cardboard cartons as cockroaches like to hide in these items.
- Inspect all incoming stock, crates and boxes for cockroaches and their ootheca (egg cases) before storage.
- If you have an infestation, professional help from Anticimex is the only long-term solution.